+ Reply to Thread

Thread: # radius

# radius

we all know that radius has its lateral and posterior bowing. as a genera,l everyone advocate volar plate application for # in distal 1/2 and dorsal plate in proximal 1/2 radius. while tension band principle says compression plate should be applied on tension side. distal 1/2 has lateral and posterior bowing, then why do we apply the dcp on volar side? why not in dorsal side in distal radius 1/2 # ?

There are issues related to the tendon irritation and hardware prominence....

yes there is problem with tendon irritation when implant is apply dorsally. there are similar problem described in literature when use volar approach in certain plates up to5.7% flexor tendon rapture .

I think the tension band principle is applicable when we use the plate as a neutralizing plate only,but in radius fracture we use DCP with the principle of dynamic compression planting , so we can put the plate even on the compression side of the bone

I think that the first reason is to avoid extensor irritation and a possible rupture ,
    The second reason is that we use a plate which compresses the site of the fracture anyway and the tension band principle is not applicable here ,because the plate is not used to transform tensile to compressive forces . A third thing is that the fracture in the upper limb is not loaded , as in a plated femoral or tibial fracture, so we have no compression to stimulate the healing anyway ,so no need for that principle. We just rely on the compression and stability generated by our plate. I hope the way I answered makes some sense .

2 reasons.... first has been said, it causes tendon irritation
    2nd is more important, it causes lot of scarring and exit becomes difficult.pin can get caught in the scar tissue.

+ Reply to Thread